Thank you for finding me and making the first step to change, small steps count even if it’s just to see what help may be on offer. This is a private practice arising from thirty years clinical experience in the NHS and over 21 years in Child and Adolescent Mental Health ( you can view my training by clicking here at>>>My Story ) I offer sensitive assessment, therapeutic support to children, parents, and charge Fees
What help are you seeking?
You may not be sure what therapy might help or what you may need. This is why I offer an in depth 80-minute consultation without the children in the first instance.I offer a view at the consultation what help I think may be helpful ( this is just a perspective) I know what specific methods and techniques may be most effective for your family. The appointments are held at my clinic in Ashley Down, I am unable to offer home visits but I do offer telephone consultations and parenting.
I find working with parents ( without their child) can be helpful when:
- Children are younger and or are teenagers
- There is a high level of conflict
- Significant Trauma
- Children who may be reluctant to attend
- It’s very helpful to have a space for you without your children.
- I offer to see children with their parents, I am curious about what emotions and behaviours are expressed between parent/s and children. I am keen that you develop a close and connected relationship with them.
- Family counselling involves working with various members of the family to bring about positive change; the focus is on the interaction between family members rather than within an individual. Often several members of the family meet together, although not everyone has to be involved if they do not wish to be.
- I’ve found in my own parenting and my experience that parenting is going to bring up big feelings, yours and theirs. It may even trigger your experience/trauma as a child. The trauma/experience can get in the way of you having a secure attachment with your child, I see many adults individually for this reason. I work with both you as a parent and your inner child.
- In addition, I offer individual work for children. I often offer two/three sessions as part of the assessment for individual work. Parallel work with parents can be helpful if I am seeing the child individually, this enables a deeper understanding of your child’s behaviour, promote ideas and strategies to enable closer relationships at home
Here are a number of examples of problems clients may contact me with:
Behavioural difficulties, >>>click here for more information
- Out of control Behaviour
- Unable to follow instructions or tasks
- Oppositional and defiant behaviour
- Sibling Rivalry
Attachment/relationship Difficulties, Click here for more on Attachment and relational Difficulties
- Attachment Difficulties and Disorder
- The conflict between you and your child.
Anxiety Difficulties, click here for more on>>for Signs, Symptoms and Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety can be successfully treated – the first step is to get an assessment, I work with:
- Worry and generalised anxiety
- Phobias (such as dog phobia, fear of being sick, fear of choking, social phobia)
- Panic attacks
- Obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours
- Separation Anxiety
- Difficulties in transitions
ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder click >>here for more information
- Depression and low mood
- Low self-esteem
- Post Natal Depression
Generalised Difficulties of Childhood
- Potty training
- Enuresis (wetting) and encopresis (soiling)
- School Difficulties
- Difficulties in relationships and friendships
- Sensory Issues
Trauma for more information click here>>Trauma
- Birth Trauma
My aim is to offer a safe and comfortable space for you to think and enable you to feel empowered. No parent is perfect, but I believe it is important to consider your strengths in combination with difficulties to enable relationships to grow in the longer term.
If you would like to work with me click >>>here to contact me to book a workshop or consultation.